What’s better than eating a peanut butter cup? Making them yourself!! This recipe is so easy the kids made them with very little help from me. Seriously, all I did was set out the ingredients and clean up when they were finished.
I found this recipe on Hoosier Homemade. It looked simple and yummy. I love peanut butter and chocolate and I can’t wait to eat one. Right now they’re in the fridge and I can hear them calling me! I did eat a little bit of the peanut butter mixture that was left over, it was so good! Perfect peanut butter taste with just the right amount of sweetness.
Homemade Peanut Butter Cups
- 1 cup Creamy Peanut Butter, divided in half
- 1 & 1/2 tablespoons softened butter
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon Salt
- 2 cups Semisweet Chocolate Chips or Milk Chocolate chips
- 4 Milk Chocolate Candy Bars (1.55 ounces each), coarsely chopped
- Fill mini muffin tins with mini paper liners. I just lined the muffin liners up on a baking sheet and it worked fine.
- In a small bowl, combine 1/2 cup peanut butter, butter and confectioners sugar and salt until smooth, set aside.
- In a microwave safe bowl, melt the chocolate chips, candy bars and remaining peanut butter, stir until smooth.
- Pour a teaspoonful or so of chocolate mixture into paper liners.
- Top each with a teaspoonful of peanut butter mixture. We rolled it in a little ball and flattened it some then put it in the paper liner.
- Spoon chocolate mixture over to cover the peanut butter mixture.
- Refrigerate until set.
You could also use dark chocolate morsels if you wanted. After we had them all made I thought we should’ve added an Oreo cookie to some of them. There are so many things you can do with this simple recipe; use crunchy peanut butter, put pretzels in it, add a whole peanut to the top…you get the point.
Now I’m going to peek and see if they’re ready to eat yet!
UPDATE: We tore into these last night. These Homemade Peanut Butter Cups are by far better than any store bought brand. If you are one of my family members, these will be in your goodie bag this Christmas!